Saturday, January 24, 2009

1/23/09 AM Surgery day, or, this wasn't the sort of Port I was hoping to have installed one day.


For those of you old enough, do you remember what the 21st century was supposed to be like? We were promised flying cars, robots to clean up the house, jet packs, full meals in a pill, and end to world hunger, all other sorts neat stuff. Well nothing turned out like we were promised. One of the things I was really looking forward to was the posibility of having a data port installed, which would allow me to jack a computer directly into my brain and nervous system. You know what I mean, like from the matrix or any other SciFi movie. Unfortunatly, I did get a port installed today, but not the kind I hoped for.
What a night. I couldn't have anything to eat or drink after 9:00pm yesterday. Normally no big deal, unless you are coughing your lungs up all night and have a dry throat. And I was coughing my lungs up, or at least a lot of blood, phlegm, and what not. It's the what not that I was worried about. Also, When I woke up, my pillow case had this great rorschack bloodstain on it that looked kind of like a water buffalo, sort of. I wanted to keep it and use it later on, but they took it of when I was gone.
So, the nurse comes and wakes me up at 5:30 and starts to get me ready for my surgery. I am having something called a "Hickman catheter" (See Picture). At 7 the take me down to presurgery, I think, cause some things are still blury. Once they get me down there to the waiting room, I see an old co-worker walking by as they bring his dad in on a gurney. So I shout out "Hey CW, Hows it going man!" Then I realize how stupid of a comment that is. Here he is walking into a presurgical area with his dad on a bed, obviousley going in for some kind of procedure and some guy in a gown with a mask covering his face ( I have to wear one when ever I go out of my room) starts shouting at him. After a few seconds he finaly recognises me. we talk for a few minutes " Hey hows it going," " Oh, not to bad, my dads here for a heart procedure, How about you" " Oh, I'm alright, I found out I have Leukemia two days ago and they have to put some kind of port thingy in" yeah, kind of awkard, but more about that later.
Long story short, they put me under and install a catheter into my juggular vein. I wake up later, groggy and sore, and the only two good things about this are: 1. no more vein spikes for every little test of med dose, and 2. Pain killers

1 comment:

  1. Bryan, we had no idea you were so entertaining. I think you missed your calling as a stand up comedian!

    ReplyDelete