
1/21/09 am
I had the joy of being able to have a Bone Marrow biopsy this morning. As I was laying on my stomach with the Doctor on one side, and Erin on the other, I was reminded from a scene in the movie "Serenity", where one of the characters, named Wash, has to go through a very stressful situation. He used the following or something very like it as a mantra to keep him calm " I am a leaf on the winds of fate" I decided to give this a try, so as the Doctor got started, I started reciting this over and over again. It kind of worked. I didn't feel anything. This is kind of impressive, The needle that the Doctor used looked to be about the size of a pencil. It was hollow and came to a sharp point. There was a T handle on the other end. I found out later that this is so that he can get a good grip on it for when he has to punch through the bone. So, as I said I was really numbed up, and as the doctor slid the needle into my hip and didn't feel anything until the Doctor nudged up against the bone. I felt that. It was kind of like someone knocked on the inside of my pelvice. The Doctor then punched through the bone. Something popped, and reverberated through my pelvis then pain flashed. I got throuh the rest of the procedure by using my mantra. Luckly I also had Erin there. She helped talk me through it, and wiped the sweat off of my face when I broke out in a cold sweat. Now I just had to wait to find out what was going on inside of me. Incedently, as soon as the procedur was over I remembered what happened to Wash from serenity. After he was able to land his ship, he was impaled on a long sharp pole, Talk about Irony.
I had the joy of being able to have a Bone Marrow biopsy this morning. As I was laying on my stomach with the Doctor on one side, and Erin on the other, I was reminded from a scene in the movie "Serenity", where one of the characters, named Wash, has to go through a very stressful situation. He used the following or something very like it as a mantra to keep him calm " I am a leaf on the winds of fate" I decided to give this a try, so as the Doctor got started, I started reciting this over and over again. It kind of worked. I didn't feel anything. This is kind of impressive, The needle that the Doctor used looked to be about the size of a pencil. It was hollow and came to a sharp point. There was a T handle on the other end. I found out later that this is so that he can get a good grip on it for when he has to punch through the bone. So, as I said I was really numbed up, and as the doctor slid the needle into my hip and didn't feel anything until the Doctor nudged up against the bone. I felt that. It was kind of like someone knocked on the inside of my pelvice. The Doctor then punched through the bone. Something popped, and reverberated through my pelvis then pain flashed. I got throuh the rest of the procedure by using my mantra. Luckly I also had Erin there. She helped talk me through it, and wiped the sweat off of my face when I broke out in a cold sweat. Now I just had to wait to find out what was going on inside of me. Incedently, as soon as the procedur was over I remembered what happened to Wash from serenity. After he was able to land his ship, he was impaled on a long sharp pole, Talk about Irony.
No comments:
Post a Comment