Well, I started to get sick late last week. headache, stuffy nose, chest congestion, coughing, you know, just your run of the mill over the counter cold. Everyone else in the house was coming down with something over the last week. Both of the boys and Erin (My Wife) had some sort of stomach bug that was quite unpleasant. On Monday night, before bed, I noticed that there was blood in the phlegm I was coughing up and spitting out, and when I blew my nose, it was more red than green. Then I saw the black spots on my tongue. "That's weird" I thought, then chugged some nyquel to try and catch some Z's.
1/20/09. Woke up feeling like crap. Erin was already staying at home with Colin ( #2 son) who had thrown up at daycare yesterday. Told Erin that I was going to stay home and try to get in to see the Doctor. I called my Doctor's office, but would not be able to get in until 3:00. Erin left Colin with me while she took Ben ( #1 son) to preschool. She got back, I laid down for a while, then got up feeling even worse. Showed her the black spots which had grown in number and size, and were quite tender. I asked her what I should do, she replied "Go to immediate care, that looks terrible"
I got to immediate care and saw a nurse pretty quick. Then I saw a doctor who took a look inside of my mouth, then another doctor that took a look into my mouth, then another doctor who took a look into my mouth and then said he needed to call someone to consult with and then had to check a book in his office. Then they drew blood.
They got the results back from the blood pretty quick. All of my blood count stuff was low. Way low. My platelettes were 9000, when they were supposed to be over 150,000, my white blood cells were 9000 when they were supposed to be over 14,000. They called my family physician and consulted with him, and they decided that I needed to go to the hospital.
I called Erin and filled her in. She came and picked me up, right around 11:30. The Innaugration of the 44th president of the United States of America was in full swing and I was missing it.
We listened to the innaugration on NPR on the ride to the hospital, and got there just as Barak Obama was starting his speech. I wanted to sit and listen to it, but Erin said it was taping at hom and I would be able to watch it tonight. I was hoping that I would make it out soon. I had an Ice fishing trip with some friends set up for the weekend that I had been looking forward to for months. The Doctors at the hospital told me that I needed to stay in overnight for more tests. I started to get scared at this point.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment